It’s a new year and that means many of you will have set some New Year’s Resolutions – like losing weight, watching less TV or going to bed earlier. Getting fit is a popular goal, and if this is your aim in 2016, read 8 top exercise tips.
– Exercise every day. Yip, you heard us! If you’re a beginner you want to make exercise part of your daily routine, but it’s important that you start small so you don’t overwhelm yourself or cause an injury. Your aim is consistency.
– Set goals. You’re far more likely to stick to your exercise programme if you have a specific goal, not a vague “get fit” plan. So set regular new challenges like running a 5km race, swimming 1km or reaching a new personal best on the stair climber at the gym.
– Stretch. Rather than stretching before you exercise – when your muscles are cold – rather stretch afterwards when your muscles are warm. The benefit is that you improve your range of motion and flexibility and lessen the risk of muscle strain. Join a stretching class at the gym if you need help.
– Drink water. Feeling thirsty is the first sign that you’re already dehydrated, so take a water bottle with you and remember to drink regularly while you’re exercising and afterwards.
– Routine. While you want to get into an exercise routine, you don’t want to do the same exercises every day – it’s a sure fire way that you’ll get bored and quit. Mix it up to keep it interesting by taking a class at the gym, trying kick boxing or doing yoga.
– Comparison. Everyone is different and your body will not react in the same way as anyone else’s will. Don’t compare how much weight someone else has lost, or how far they’ve run, focus on yourself and your goals. What works for them may not work for you.
– Overdo it. It’s important to have a routine and exercise often but don’t push yourself too hard in the beginning and burn out. Get advice from your doctor if you’re just starting out and use a personal trainer for a few sessions to get an exercise plan that suits your needs.
– Skip breakfast. It’s important that your body gets the energy you need to help you make it through your day. Eating a good, balanced breakfast will jump-start your metabolism and give you the right start to your day.
Remember to reward yourself when you’ve managed to reach your goals, BUT we don’t mean gorging yourself on a huge plate of burger and chips. Rather do something fun and different like taking your family away on an affordable weekend trip, enjoying a movie date night, or a pampering session at a spa. You’ve earned it – well done!
As a GetMore member you have access to our PLAY benefit which means you can do a whole heap of fun stuff – on the cheap! Just call us on 084 11 438 48 and we’ll find some fun activities for you and your family.