Romance, which is simply the passionate affection that lovers feel for each other, can grow over fine wine in a fancy French bistro or a picnic in the park with strawberries and sandwiches. What matters is not the money behind a date but the authentic desire to treat your special someone to something special.
But we also recognise that you probably don’t have time to reconceptualise the world around you and uncover romance where you least expect it. Luckily, GetMore exists for just that purpose. We’ve come up with dozens of one-off ideas that will foster romance with your special someone—without burning a hole in your pocket.
Put your mind to work and get creative. Here are great ideas to help you get started:
- Put up a canopy in your backyard and string up some white lights. Listen to CDs of all your favourite songs and dance the night away. If it is raining or cold, why not turn your living room floor into your picnic area and picnic in front of your fireplace.
- Run away for the night – just the two of you – to wherever you end up. The night is yours.
- Stay at home for a night of pampering. Fill your bedroom and bathroom with candles and after sitting in the tub together, treat each other to full body massages.
- Go on a local hike. Pack a picnic lunch and bring along a camera. Hold hands while you walk. Enjoy nature and enjoy each other, you can’t go wrong.
- Go camping. You can eat from the braai, fish and swim. And don’t forget the marshmallows.
- Write a letter from the heart. Take some time to reflect on how much your partner means to you and how much you appreciate them. Now tell them in a letter. Do it just because.
- Watch a movie. Catch an early show. Usually around 5:00 p.m. as it’s less expensive.
- Go listen to some music together. An outdoor concert in the park is nice.
- Work out together. Doesn’t sound romantic does it? It can be. Try it!
- Play a board game together. Nothing like some friendly competitiveness. Try a board game just for couples and have some fun.
- Tell each other your dreams for the future. This can also be a nice escape from reality and your financial challenges.
- Prepare a meal together. Choose the most complicated recipe and try making it together.
- Pack a lunch and go for a bike ride. When you get tired, stop and picnic together.
- Read to each other. Pick a book that you have both been wanting to read and spend an hour each night taking turns reading to each other.
- Camp in your backyard or just lie in a sleeping bag and stargaze.
- Re-create your first date together.
- Take the kids to a sitter for the night and have a braai on the patio. Enjoy each other’s company over a bottle of wine.
- Why not write them a poem.
- Stash little love notes and quotes all in pockets, briefcases and different places so that your partner will find them throughout the day.
- Take a walk in the park and hold hands and just talk. Feed the ducks. Swing on the swings at the playground. You would be surprised at how much fun you have.
- Learn some astronomy together. Take stargazing to a whole new level with a telescope and learn to identify constellations.
- Park on a bluff and watch the sunset.
- Take a drive though the country.
- Sunbathe with each other.
- Make home videos together or page through your old photo albums.
Remember GetMore is only one call away for information, event calendars and everything else your heart desires. GetMore offers couples a wide range of savings through Discount Dining, Movies, Activities, and Health and Wellness. Now that’s romance on a budget!