You feel terrible when you damage your car but you’ll feel even worse if your insurance company won’t pay up. Here are the top 12 reasons why your claim may be rejected.
1. Alcohol and drugs: If your blood alcohol content is over the legal limit or you tested positive for drugs.
2. Unlicensed driver: When you have a suspended or cancelled licence at the time of the accident.
3. Unroadworthy vehicle: Tyres that are smooth and defective wipers are two reasons why your car may be considered unroadworthy.
4. Regular driver: You may let a friend drive your car but if your policy only covers the nominated driver, you may end up paying out of your own pocket.
5. Failure to report: Many insurers require you to report the accident or incident to the police within 24 hours.
6. Reckless driving: Your claim may be rejected if you were driving recklessly at the time of the accident, such as speeding.
7. Car modifications: If you have changed the performance of your car you need to inform your insurance company.
8. Security devices: Failure to comply with your policy, if it requires that you fit your car with a security device, may lead to a rejected claim.
9. Inspection: Some insurers insist on an inspection if you’ve bought a new or used car, or changed insurance companies.
10. Business purposes: If your vehicle is being used for business then this needs to be disclosed to your insurer.
11. Cross border: Many insurance companies only cover you for travel within South Africa’s borders and to neighbouring countries.
12. Secure parking: Claiming you park safely at night, when you actually park on the street, can be a reason to dismiss your claim.
The responsibility for reading the Ts&Cs of your insurance policy sit with you – don’t wait until after an accident to know what you are covered for.
Do you need reasonable insurance quotes? As a GetMore member you can take advantage of your DRIVE benefit by phoning us today on 084 11 438 48 and we’ll make sure you get competitive prices that suit your budget